Want a decorated stomach on the beach? Just a little pinch and you are done with belly piercing. Looks cuter than tattoos, in our humble opinion, and carries less responsibility, meaning you can easily remove it in future if you feel bored with it or something. This article is for every girl who is considering belly piercing. It’s fully understandable that you may have your doubts or questions. We’ll throw light on all possible questions, associated with piercing of a belly button – pros and cons, interesting facts on the topic, how the procedure is carried out and how to choose the right piercing jewelry. Join us and let’s chatter about one of the most thrilling female topics – piercing.
Belly Button Pierced: Cool, Sexy, Intriguing…
A pierced belly button looks individually in every girl and it draws attention to one of the most beautiful and sexy areas of female body! Actually, it flatters all girls with a flat stomach and looks adorable with low-waist jeans and little tops in summer.
Many girls wonder if any complications can occur after the procedure. Well, you’ll feel like being pregnant for a couple of days, meaning it will be a bit hard to bend over. Other than that if you choose a reliable licensed piercer and follow all the care recommendations, you won’t suffer, don’t worry.
Belly Piercings: Navel Piercing Facts You Should Know
- A navel piercing, despite of its name, isn’t actually performed on the navel itself, but through its upper rim. Those who want a real navel piercing can have it only if they have an “outie” type of belly button.
- Belly button piercing isn’t an absolutely fresh fashion trend as most may think. It originates from ancient civilizations. In Egypt, let’s say, only VIP persons could have their belly buttons pierced.
- Navel piercings are among the easiest to get rid of if in future you decide you don’t want it anymore.
- Legal age for navel piercing is not restricted, however, some local authorities or piercing shops may have they conditions in regards to age limits for piercing or a consent from parents (for children under 16).
- Healing time for belly button piercing ranges between 6 and 12 months – the longest compared to other body areas, such as earlobes, nose or tongue.
- Keeping your belly button clean and dry all the time turns out a bit difficult, that’s why piercings in this area may have more chances to develop complications. 25% of individuals, who have done piercing, experience complications, such as bleeding, swelling, infection.
- Unlike most body piercings, navel piercings do not normally reject, although their rejection rate is still higher than in non-surface piercings, such as on ear lobe, for example.
- It’s recommended to choose piercing jewelry made of non-nickel metal. After your belly button is pierced, a specialist will insert a jewelry piece such as a curved barbell or a captive bead ring, made of surgical steel, not the jewelry type with dangles or gems, since it would be very painful if your ring gets caught on something while your navel is still healing.
- Decorative jewelry is allowed only 4 weeks after piercing.
Umbilical Dip Piercing: The Procedure Step By Step
So you are excited to have your belly button piercing but feel a bit unsure about where to start or how to complete this venture properly? We are offering you a special detailed guide on how the procedure will be carried out and what things in this enterprise are entirely your responsibility.
- Find a licensed body piercing shop or a reputable piercer with a license. In this case you may be sure that the procedure will be performed according to all hygiene and safety standards.
- Visit the specialist you will work with for a consultation. You’ll need to see with your own eyes that the place is very clean (including floors). Don’t feel shy to clear up all the nuances, related to the procedure, interesting to you. We would recommend to make sure that all the instruments the specialist uses are kept sealed, inquire whether he/she uses only single-use needles, which are discarded immediately after the procedure, whether piercing jewelry is previously pre-sterilized. If you want to bring your own jewelry, specify if they would sterilize it as well.
- Before the procedure you may need to sign a consent form, stating that you agree to proceed.
- A belly button is pierced just above the navel. Among the piercing jewelry you can apply for a belly button at first, there are either curved bars with metal balls, screwed on each end or small metallic rings with clip-on ball fastenings.
- Wash your belly button with soap before piercing. Skin disinfection with alcohol-containing solution is a must, so is sterility of piercing equipment.
- Once all preparation arrangements are taken, relax and trust it to the specialist, you’ve chosen. First he or she will mark the place where your jewelry will go. Then the piercer will make a hole with a sharp needle and replace it with piercing jewelry, sterilizing your navel once again. The procedure itself takes just a few seconds.
- After your belly button is pierced, it’s important to avoid possible traumas to the area, with belts, for instance. It will also help the healing process if you keep your navel exposed to air.
Navel Piercing: Weighing Pros & Cons
Although having your navel pierced is no big deal, most of us tend to have numerous doubts before we finally venture to do it. We’ll help you to dispel your doubts. They usually amount to the following aspects.
Will I be able to get rid of it if I don’t want it anymore?
– Yes, you will. Navel piercing can be easily removed.
Is it costly?
– Not really and you have options. The whole procedure together with a standard piercing jewelry (titanum or surgical steel) costs between $25-50, you can choose more expensive jewelry though.
Is it painful?
– This is rather individual: some people describe it as just a pinch, others find it rather painful. Those who had their navel pierced, score painful sensations as 5 out of 10. If you are not ready to stand even moderate pain, ask for local anesthesia. Some quick sharp pain when a piercer makes a hole and some tugging when a navel ring is inserted is probably all you’ll have to go through. Besides, the healing process will cause some discomfort especially during the first days. For the first 2-3 weeks it’s better not to take a hot bath and avoid swimming in a river or swimming-pool.
Belly Button Rings & Barbells
A new belly button ring can really brighten your day. Some of them are true miniature works of art. Stylish and super cool, extra modern and vintage, fancy, twisted, spiral, incrusted, for pregnancy and motherhood, dangling or non-dangling, glowing in the dark or sparkling in the sunshine… they are all so fantastic and simply awesome, that you simply can’t pass without buying a couple of those cuties. Good news is most of them on the Internet cost just around or under $10!
As for designs, they are very easy to pick: you simply take what you like. When it comes to materials, you have a splendid choice as well:
- Bioflex plastic belly button rings: excellent alternatives to surgical steel rings
- Sterling silver belly button rings: a perfect elegant choice, mesmerizing with sexy silver shine
- Titanum navel jewelry: extremely lightweight and sturdy rings of fantastic metallic colors
- For Sensitive skin: hypoallergenic and safe naval rings from titanum or surgical steel
Wow, that’s an inspiring topic, indeed! Well, navel piercing is, unquestionably, a beautiful and sexy trend any girl can follow if she can afford it. However, this step should be taken thoughtfully, weighing all pros and cons. Beauty is very important and so is your health. That’s why be picky when choosing among licensed piercers, purchase only quality piercing jewelry and look after your piercing carefully. Following all our recommendations, you will be able to become sexier and even more gorgeous than you are. And may your “new toy” bring you tons of joy!